As well as looking at Apache Camel for healthcare integration, I have also been spending time with Sun’s OpenESB product. OpenESB is the open-source counterpart of the Java CAPS product, a mature and well-supported Enterprise Service Bus (ESB) built on the Java Business Integration (JBI) standard.
Michael Czapski of Sun is an excellent source of information on healthcare-related application of the CAPS / OpenESB product line. He has created a really substantial demonstration project based on a healthcare integration scenario. His blog entry and the associated downloads (and screencast) are well worth getting hold of. The screencast and writeup are based on Java CAPS, the commercial product which provides a few nice UI improvements and I believe some additional tools which the OpenESB product does not have.
I decided to go through Michael’s complete tutorial, using NetBeans 6.5 and the bundled OpenESB / GlassFish combination, building the solution and making notes as I went along. I’ll put the source code for the NetBeans (6.5) and OpenESB project group up on a publically available Assembla Subversion space (URL to follow), in the hope they may be useful to others who want to use OpenESB to do a similar thing.
As already mentioned, the differences between Java CAPS and OpenESB are superficially small, so if you are already familiar with one or other product you probably only need Michael’s notes and material. However, if you’re relatively new to OpenESB (as I am), there are a few places where the absence of JavaCAPS tooling means you need to know what you’re doing to patch-up the OpenESB solution.
My first big lesson was getting a correct / compatible set of NB plugins and libraries installed. The zip archive provided by Michael appears to contain everything you need, including the XSDs, NB plugins and encoder libraries. As the article was published very recently, I assumed these were the latest versions so tried to configure my NB 6.5 instance using these.
I followed the instructions for installing the encoder library (first uninstalling the existing one), then installing the NB plugins. However, the plugin installation just wouldn’t go ahead:
I tried various combinations but in the end had to uninstall GlassFish v2 and run the NB installer again to reinstall GF plus the OpenESB bits. Fortunately, this is actually quite a quick process, and puts everything back as it was.
I won’t go through all my subsequent false-starts, but simply tell you to download a matched set of the latest versions from this location:
The components here should all be compatible. It really is best that you download and install these yourself, so I won’t put them in the Assembla SVN space.
Doing without the Java CAPS Wizards
The most obvious differences when watching the screencast are the degree to which the commercial product contains wizard steps and conveniences for generating all the configuration items. Reasonable enough I think, and so far I have been able to complete every step using OpenESB and NetBeans 6.5.
When creating the concrete WSDL definitions with the HL7 bindings, the wizards in the Java CAPS product (seen in Michael’s screencast) do make the whole process slightly simpler. But if you take a little time to understand what these wizards are actually doing in the generated WSDL, it’s not too hard to complete the steps manually. That’s easy to say now, but I should ‘fess-up and admit that it took me a little while to spot what I hadn’t done, a couple of times.
For example, once I’d completed the HL7Consumer_CA_A01_A03Delim_HL7In WSDL (sorry Michael, I’m not a big fan of your naming convention!), I simply couldn’t add it to the Composite Application design surface: the tutorial document instructions didn’t appear to work. I could see the WSDL in the list of available WSDLs and select it – but could not add it to the canvas, and couldn’t see any error message to tell me why.
After a cup of tea and a biscuit and a bit of careful thought, I realised why. The HL7 protocol properties were completely missing from the port declaration in the Services section. It’s easy to fix this, using the context menu commands:
Then edit the properties in the property grids. Of course, in the JavaCAPS product the wizards prompt you for these properties and create the related WSDL bits behind the scenes. I don’t like depending on wizards. Fortunately the NetBeans tooling gives you just enough convenient UI to hide the underlying cruft, but also lets you work at the XML / source level and see what’s going on down there.
That’s probably enough for this post. There’s so much more to write but I need to knock it into shape before I publish.